RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question about high voltage power lines and 2.4 radios
Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't expect a problem. We have a huge feeder power line that runs parallel and just 750' in front of our flight line. The power line connects to a large sub station just a few hundred feet beyond the path of the line. While the line is clearly in our view, we do fly over it quite often and maybe under it a few times. I would suspect larger airplanes fly well over and past the line on most every flight. Overall other than a few airplanes having hit it a few times, I can't say it has ever been a problem. Certainly not an interference issue. Yes, if problems developed with one or more of the insulators, we could have an issue. But this type of problem is very easy to detect using only the AM radio in your car. Power companies are right on insulator problems though as they can't risk a failure of the line.

Having worked with RF communications most of my working life, I can't say I ever had a problem with a HV feeder line. Can't say the same for business and residential power lines though. Those lower voltage lines can cause all kinds of problems before the power company takes any action.

Last edited by Truckracer; 12-09-2013 at 08:03 AM.