RCU Forums - View Single Post - Edge 540 27.4% Build
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 03:51 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Jim, the roll of sandpaper that you can see in the photos comes in 3 different grits (80, 150, 220), and they all have the adhesive already applied to them. You simply unroll to the length needed and stick right on your sanding bar. The width of each roll is slighly wider than the bar and will need to be trimmed to fit. Very convienient and quick...

Anthony, one of these planes I will try it, but not on this one as I am trying to keep the weight down to a minimum. UltraCote (gasp) will be used on the wings and all control surfaces. The fuse, tail fin and flat stabilizer will get glassed and painted.

As far as the profile on the flat stabilizer goes, I am not using any type of template, I am doing it by eye and am trying to follow the profile as indicated in the plans. Because of the way this is constructed I could make a tip template but not one for the root. Leroy, I had considered doing what you had suggested, but that would have required me to re-size the wood used to make this stabilizer. I can't say that I have ever done it this way before, and that exactly the reason that I decided I would go ahead and pull the trigger and do it this way. It is a lot of work, but I have the leading edges up to the chord completed and I am happy with how it came out.

Last edited by VincentJ; 12-10-2013 at 05:58 AM.