RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question about high voltage power lines and 2.4 radios
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wildnloose
Quick little story that happened some time ago. Of course this was on 72Mhz.

We were getting interference at our field. I work for a cell phone company, so i have equipment to check. Weird, kept hearing birds coming thru, really strong signal right in the middle of our band, affecting several channels.

Long story short, found a baby monitor 25 miles away, Yes, it was bleeding thru power lines and everything else. (I know, not supposed to happen) but it was. It was so strong the second harmonic was affecting our frequencies to render them useless.

Easy fix to problem, bought the family a better baby monitor. They are cheap systems that use house wiring as the antenna. Transmitter signal was bleeding all over the place. Went to the family, explained what the situation was, and of course it was more of a safety concern for them than it was for us. Easy sell.

Store personnel did look at us kinda funny because we were checking all the baby monitors with our equipment (just to make sure they would not affect us).

So yeah, it's not "SUPPOSE" to happen, but sometimes it does happen. I guess the interference Gods had it in for us...
Stranger things have happened I suppose. I remember when I lived in Memphis in the 90's and was into rc cars. There was a house near mine that when I ran any of my cars on 27mhz within 200' I would get all kinds of servo jitter, it once caused my rc10 to shoot off into a huge mudhole. Took about 3 hrs to clean up the mess inside. I never figured out why I was getting interference, I just figured it was a house alarm or something.