RCU Forums - View Single Post - Replacement for Futaba 12fg
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man… looks like I need to catch up. I got a 12Z for Xmas last year, but just began using it a few months ago. I still have two perfectly serviceable 9Z radios (one with a 2.4 module), that I really like -and prefer. But one does NOT tell his bride that the $900 Xmas present she bought as a surprise is not what you wanted...

At any rate, I'm good to go on radios, even though they are all discontinued models. I feel you guy's pain; with the exception of the 18MZ, those higher-end transmitters don't look so impressive.

But I'm curious, ddaveb… unless there is something wrong with your 12fg, or it won't do something you would like it to, why are you looking to replace it?

Are these newer Futaba offerings less durable than the older ones? One of my 9Zs is 12 years old and still working great. I did have it checked out and the internal lithium battery replaced some years back, but I sent it to Tony Stillman at Radio South again last year for a full check-out; he replaced the lithium battery again and said everything else was still in spec, even the stick pots. My other 9Z, which is 9 years old, got the same clean bill of health. So barring any catastrophes, I'm fine on radios for the forseeable future.

But it certainly does seem like Futaba has cheapened things up. That 12z has nowhere near the "solid" feel that the 9Z does. Still, I'm beginning to like it, and will use it as a primary system.

Too bad buying a used transmitter is such a crap shoot; otherwise, I'd suggest that...