RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
jmcowart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting a DLE 30 with JTEC Pitts Wrap Around Muffler in the ARF. I also added some heavy duty items instead of the stock items. I used Heavy Duty DuBro control horns that you can see on the rudder and elevator. I decided to use 5000 mAh LiFE battery pack for flight battery, as can be seen as a mound in the middle of the cabin. I ended up with the HD control horns because for the life of me I can get a 2-56 screw straight from the nylon control horn through the aileron, rudder, or elevator to the nylon base it is supposed to screw into. So instead of butchering some more control surfaces I used the HD horns. This added some problems, of course. It all clears without interference at the control surfaces but needed a 3" double servo arm for the rudder servo (to preserve the correct pull-pull geometry). This required the rudder servo to raised above the two elevator servo arms.

I am also using a 16 OZ Roto-Flow fuel tank instead of the standard tank. Since the JTEC Pitts style muffler exhaust pipes are right next to the firewall I can't put the ignition module on the firewall. What to do? What to do?

I plan to install the ignition module in the nose area where the stock tank is supposed to go along with the choke servo.
The Roto-Flow tank will go where the front seat was supposed to go in my plan. The throttle servo will mount on the cabin wall just about where the front throttle lever is supposed to go. I will use a removable tray with industrial Velcro for both ignition and fuel tank - with plenty of padding and vibration isolation material. The optical kill switch receiver will also go in the nose area.

Wow! A lot of trouble, specially when the stock recommended components go so well and a stock interior looks so good.
I had heavy duty (and slightly larger) servos on hand and wanted to use them. I explained the HD control horns. I also had on hand and wanted to try the Roto-Flow system, and the LiFE packs are lighter than other similar mAh NiMH packs, and I want to leave them in place and charge them only once a day. And finally, I am going to put a 40% Hempel Cub together next and wanted to practice with some of the components I will use there....

I would welcome advice or opinions. I particularly would like to hear if you'all think there is enough cut out of the bottom of the cowl for venting airflow. The DLE 30 cylinder is mostly exposed directly to airflow, so I am hoping it will cool OK with that setup. What do you think?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.JPG
Views:	1627
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1947573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.JPG
Views:	1636
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1947574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.JPG
Views:	1614
Size:	1.63 MB