RCU Forums - View Single Post - Towards Improving RC Tank IR battles: An Easy, Reversible Simple Process
Old 12-15-2013, 04:30 PM
reyemmanuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dan,

Yes, you are right. No point really in progressing as simplicity is the flavour of the month -and as I've also realised - is not the way for now. However, in the future, if some are left wanting, at the very least, we have data to back up development. These data sets are what i want to put out, and really not charging up to change the status quo. Just to let some newcomers and old timers alike know that the technology for IR battling has actually progressed (Clark has offered a better system), and some variations can be made to Tamiya-based games (version 1.xx) - but its up to the general community to either try it out or stay as is.

With hit classes 3,6 9 as simple and widely accepted, but from the outside looking in, is a great turn off from outsiders who wanna come into the hobby, and a source of falling-off from the hobby for some. Its like spending $$$ on details and modding the tank, but when it moves, sounds and function- seems like a child's toy and not really a "model". Personally, I want my tanks to sound, function and look like one (in this order of priority) - after all its modelling the real ones.

Since starting with the hobby in 2008, I've observed that once the novelty of shooting and jack rabbit "tanking" wears out, progress takes a backsit and eventually die down. This is just me, but, I know its a slow process of upping up the modelling community.

Indeed, a simple stepping up is a way forward. But will let that be decided in the future. As for now, all we need is data as basis for further development or non-development.

Indeed really, a very simple step up (not that its gonna be Gen 2 battles), but a very simple version 1.01 would be something like this:

Tamiya Based version 1.01
A. Survivability (Front Armour)
Category 1: < 100 mm RHAe = no fins = pen at 40 m
Category 2: > 100 mm RHAe = stock = pen at 30 m
MBT Category: > 500 mm RHAe = no fins, no prism = pen at 3-5 m

B. Firepower (Normalised IR range)~ being 500 m is viewed as effective gunnery range and simulated in IR battles with max emiiter range output to ~ 30-40 m (scaled up to 480 -600 m)
All: 3 Hits, 3 sec reload (LGHT Setting)

C. Mobility (specific power (hp/t), sustained combat/cross country)
Category 1: > 15 hp/t = 30 kph
Category 2: <15 hp/t = 10 kph
MBT Category: ~ 40 kph

...and a little step further: taking both IR receiver (my proposition) and emitter mods (your proposition )

version 1.02
A. Survivability (Front Armour)
Category 1: < 100 mm RHAe = no fins = pen at 40 m
Category 2: > 100 mm RHAe =stock = pen at 30 m
MBT Category: > 500 mm RHAe = no fins, no prism = pen at 3-5 m

B. Firepower (Apparent (IR range) = use Trimpot to limit firepower to simulate kinetic round penetrating armour from 500 m away (real) ~ corresponds to 30 m IR scale range
Category 1: Penetration at 500 m > 100 mmRHAe = 50% resistance
Category 2: Penetration at 500 m < 100 mmRHAe = 75% resistance
MBT Category: Penetration at 500 m > 100 mmRHAe = No resistance

C. Mobility (specific power (hp/t), sustained combat/cross country)
Category 1: > 15 hp/t = 30 kph
Category 2: <15 hp/t = 10 kph
MBT Category: ~ 40 kph

Well, anyways, for now, I just wanted to share data and what could be done. By doing such, all my tanks are backward compatible (Tamiya -based) and forward compatible (Gen 1.xx, Gen 2) with just a minute or so of simple mods.

cheers,
Rey

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 12-15-2013 at 05:28 PM.