RCU Forums - View Single Post - Towards Improving RC Tank IR battles: An Easy, Reversible Simple Process
Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I applaud your attempts (or anyones) to induce more realism into IR battling and especially when it's just a simple mod, but as Dan said, you're fighting an uphill battle. Most just want to get together and have some fun. Many rules and mods lead to confusion and more battle prep than most are willing to put up with.

Best analogy I can think of is Axis and Allies vs Avalon Hill. Avalon Hill makes the most amazing war stragedy games, but some are so involved like The Third Reich, that the 300 page rulebook makes it impossible for any but the extremely dedicated player. Axis and Allies offers much simpler games, less realistic but still a heck of a lot of fun and most anyone can jump in. In the end I play a lot of A and A with my sons and played Third Reich once in 25 years.

As it is I 'tune' my emitters so they can only hit a tank-width area at 30 feet. That makes things more interesting when I battle my kids, but puts me at a great disadvantage in a club setting.

If more realism was really what large groups wanted, I would think ElMod or the IBU systems would see more widespread use since they definitely add to it over the TBU.

Don't take what I say as discouragement, keep at it, just don't be bothered by resistance.

Ideally, I'd love a club setting where you check in with the tank you plan to run, say a Tiger I. You get handed the club owned emitter and apple tuned for a Tiger I, plug it in and you're off. Problem with that would the club would need to buy and set up the gear, which would mean a committed membership paying dues and the it would mean havng to be consistent with the tanks, like only Tamiya.

I don't mind the fact my son can run his M4 in circles around my Tiger and shoot away while I'm waiting for 9 seconds. It still takes him 9 shots to my 5 and that's enough to make it damn fun. My peeve is the turning the turret for defense. The apple should be in the hull.