RCU Forums - View Single Post - Large glow engines - are they passing away?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:44 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mixerfix
With the price of glow fuel, I am having second thoughts every time I want to take my Skillful for a go. It has an OS 120AX on it and a 600cc tank. So - 8-9 flights and I am out of a gallon of 10% glow fuel which, locally, is about $30.

People here seem to be migrating away from glow - to gas on the higher end and to electrics on the low and now middle end.

M
Me too. I migrated to gasoline going on 5 years now, and it's for keeps. I run mostly 30-60cc gassies. And my OS GT33 outperforms practically any glow engine in the 120 to 180 size. I'm running this engine where the Webra160 used to run. Gas engines in this size have come of age. The only "big block" glow engine I would consider is the yet to be released YS200 4 stroke.

But I have a couple small glow engines in the 0.4- 0.6 cuin area. Hard to beat their power with a gas engine in this displacement; just can't stuff enough oxygen in the really little gassies to make then perform. On rare occasions I also play with small electrics but I think I'm going to stop that. I just don't fly small electrics enough to keep the batteries in decent shape soo they die on the bench, so to speak. Except for the single cell ones such as the Night Vapor that my grandson loves to play with