RCU Forums - View Single Post - Towards Improving RC Tank IR battles: An Easy, Reversible Simple Process
Old 12-16-2013, 08:31 PM
reyemmanuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ausf and Cleong,

Thanks for the responses, all well taken guys.

Gents, just to be clear about this that this thread do not assert to overthrow the "status quo". I'm playing by it, but left wanting.
Southeast Armoured Division (SEAD) mentioned about interesting data regarding the presence or abscence of fins, prisms a few years back, as seen here in under their tech notes:http://www.sead.us/technology6.html

Hence I've embarked on conducting experiments to ascertain if really, these very simple enhancements (under 60 sec, reversible) are possible and drawing from there a set of repeatable, verifiable quantified results.

This thread provides an avenue for publishing experimental data towards which very simple mods (I emphasize,very simple, simpler than TFA, fan ban, IFA), from which, could be drawn in the future to improve the state of the art. And such the word "Towards" is in the title; we are not there yet to improve, much more so, argue a case for or against the status quo.

So the arguments or debate whether to move on or not will be later on - so save your discourse guys for that later.

As such I urge all who contribute to this thread to publish data from any of their experiments relating to the above primary post.

Ausf, same as you mate, had made the armoured column tailored fit to conform to the norm, as well as, tunable to your own needs. And yes, not bothered by resistance instead, tailoring the IR config of my tanks to standard, improved and backyard setting.I have tuned my emitters to be recessed 9, 20, 30, 40 mm to make it more realistic. The one I tried with a collimating lens was emitter recessed 40 mm- and hitting the apple 50 m away (but took several attempts).

Cleong, "flavour of the month" does not really mean only for this month - we all knew that Tamiya had the battle system started way back about ≥ 8 years ago.
And yes mate, I agree with you. Its the driver not the tank. Is really becomes a function of whether or not the modelling side is only on the aesthetics and not on functionality or- as for me, better for both.
As the situation calls...one can go the "gamey" way (status quo) or "realist" way (improved). I drive my Tiger 1 hard the jack rabbit way to score kills, but when doing filming or showing to the public to gain interest, i set it back to realist mode (slow, sure driving and revving).

cheers,
Rey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SEAD.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	1948160  

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 12-16-2013 at 11:03 PM.