RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prop suggestion for a .61
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 11:45 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 17k you should be able to get 120mph with 7" of pitch on an APC sport prop, though you might need 8" depending what you can squeeze out of that engine for rpm. As it is a .46 size airframe, I'd try a 10-8 - the 10" diameter will give you more traction out of turns, if the top end is competitive. But if you want instead to push more on straight line speed a the expense of some disc area, then I'd investigate higher pitch 9" props. Might want a bit more carb bore for the higher rpm, but YMMV - I don't know what the TT has stock.

Pattern planes were rocketing around at 115-120 mph on 11x7.5 - 11x8 props on piped .60's not that long ago.

Rough rule of thumb is your limiting pitch speed will be around rpm in thousands times pitch in inches. APC props have true pitches higher than the designation so often this works in your favour. So for quick math - 17k x 7" = 119mph. 15k with 8" pitch = 120mph. (IF the horsepower is there to fly at those speeds!) This gets you in the ballpark.

I'm leaning towards spinning a 10-8 fast as you can. Unless 9" diameter works well, which will need experimentation to find out.

Using excessive pitch for the available hp and resultant airspeed can waste hp by operating the prop blades at a less efficient L/D.