RCU Forums - View Single Post - Embracing new technologies
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 12:40 PM
bruceal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas B
I guess I do not see how FPV aircraft operated under the current AMA rules for FPV would be any more dangerous than any sort of normal R/C model at your flying field. With a decent FPV spotter, it actually might be safer flying FPV at your flying site than it would be for a guy to fly a normal model with no spotter to keep an eye out for the local heli traffic.

Flying FPV does not automatically mean that you fly away from the normal confines of your flying field.

If the FPV aircraft is flown within the boundaries of the flying site, that would be one thing. However, who is going to police people to make sure that they are within bounds when no one else is there. The temptation to fly over a park or golf course is a big one. It's just human nature to push limits. I also don't know many people who want to invest in FPV to just fly in the pattern. In one case, another area club had a member flying 2 1/2 miles away over a golf course. He was being spotted by his father who was using binoculars. I'm not saying that all FPV users would do this, but again in our case one time would be the last time. My stance is that not all flying sites can accommodate all types of aircraft.