RCU Forums - View Single Post - Difference between speed and thrust
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 03:40 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the Nextstar came out it came with a 11X7 prop and an OS .46 more than enough power to make it leap off of the ground. With a 11X5 prop it should literally leap into the air. With a 10 X 6 the motor is making lots of noise but little usable thrust, an inch in diameter does make a significant change in produced thrust. If your mowing the field with a 10 inch prop on take off, I am with Bruce, either you field is in serious need of mowing or you have bent the gear, or too small of a diameter wheels on it.
The maneuver you mentioned is called a Hammerhead.
Knowing how to recover from a stall is an important skill to have as a pilot, as well as recognizing the onset of one to prevent it. A stall in aviation unlike a car, has nothing to do with the motor stopping, but is rather the loss of lift. But as you may have gleaned it is just as possible to have a prop stall as well...
Originally Posted by wikitjuggla
I mean models. The guy that trained me was always going a bit over the top about stalls which is what made me think stalls made the engine kill. I'd say my favorite maneuver is doing that 180 degree rudder turn when you drive the plane into a stall just before you kick over the rudder to spin the plane around. I can't remember what thats called. I've only been flying for a few months. Kinda ready to move up from the trainer. Ive got a Hobbico nexstar and my teacher sold me the engine with a 10x6 prop on it. The manual for the nexstar says use a 11x5 but my teacher said it shouldn't make a difference but it takes practically the whole field to get off the ground which is why I think i'm gonna throw an 11x5 on there to see if that helps except the 10x6 already mows the grass so that 11x5 is going to make a mess of my plane every time I use it