RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question about Model Airplane Weight Limits
Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=gregoryshock; If a person is using the smallest engine stated by the kit specs, how much over the weight limit can one go? My kit says it should weigh between 7 and 9.5 pounds.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the world of manufacturers advertising Fluff. If you use the smallest manufacturers recommended engine displacement and are over the 9.5 with that type of airpane then it is going to be a dog. Remember the higher the wingloading is for that type of airplane the skill level to be successful with it just as mentioned by Jester is going to be much greater. That has a way of shortening the lifespan of many warbirds.

I have a Corsair that is not Top Flite but I just went out and checked the wingspan it is 63 inch virtually the same size. I have no idea what it is but I use it for arrested landings. Someone had originally put a Enya .91 four stroke in it and I actually did fly it with that one once and only once. it was a dog and from all the missed approachs it would be doing its life would be short so I dumped that engine and replaced it with an OS 1.08 two stroke and now the ship is a delight to fly, Just flew yesterday. I honestly cannot remember what it weighs but if you are interested I will weigh it tomorrow when I get back from the field.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 12-21-2013 at 07:50 PM.