RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1st R/C Airboat build
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't mean to be rude, but if your boats went as fast as mine do, you'd need a wet rudder too. They steer like they're on rails most of the time much like a car. Try running 50mph with an air rudder and see what happens. Once you get over 25mph, they're just too hard to control. Sorry. There isn't a soul on this Earth that will convince me to dump the wet rudder in favor of an air rudder on water. Not gonna happen. If crispyspa catches this, I hope he will chime in. He has more experience than any of us, but I'm sure he will agree with me. For speed, wet rudder is the way to go. If you want to be able to slide, drift, spinout, or whatever... Then the air rudder is the go-to. I don't care for the sliding and wide turns. I like having tight control of the steering. I just do. Aside from preference, the hull sides have such a shallow angle, it's much easier to catch a wake and have a lot of water come over the side. Getting a bunch of water in the prop arc usually kills the engine.

So do you guys have some pictures of your GPS readings of your boats with air rudders?

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 12-23-2013 at 09:13 AM.