RCU Forums - View Single Post - Contest Director and problem flyer
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
One of the things that I have always pondered is why every club hosted event seems to feel a need to have a Contest Director...especially events that aren't even contests. We, our club, have had many events with someone simply named ED (event director)...FWIW we haven't had many actual "contest" type events but the few we have still didn't have an official AMA CD presiding over it, as they weren't AMA rulebook events... I know, I know...there will be those that just love the sound of "our event is sanctioned" but for many just for "fun events" the event coordination(area protection) that a sanction is normally used for is not necessary.
LCS, you always have an opinion and some -well every so often - are good. There are many reasons to obtain an AMA Sanction for any event that a club or group is hosting.

1. The event gets more attention to area groups, clubs, individuals, etc. Sponsors are far more likely to provide some "goodies" for entrants to take home if the event is AMA Sanctioned, be it a Fly-In, Fun-Fly, Competition, Rule-Book Event, or non RB. IMO, out-of-area entrants make for a much better time than just the local area folks themselves. While most folks that attend area events are all well known, it is most always a very fine get-together and it seems to me that the "Talking a good flight" definitely makes for a great time.

2. Having a Contest Director (Event Director with AMA CD ) is the individual that is going to get all the paraphernalia ready, assure that all equipment and site conditions are all ready for flying, usually assuring the coffee and doughnuts are on site along with a good crew to assure that lunch will be on time.

3. If a contest there will always (in my life) be a question or more about rules. There will be those saying "At the last contest -blah blah etc....." which the CD has the authority to make final.

4. Clubs have officers to bare the differences and to keep things running well. Events need an experienced individual, with some sign of authority for whatever situation may happen. I cannot think of a better way to do it than an AMA Contest Director there to keep things as safe and as well moving as is needed for all to have a good time.
There will always be those that, in a competition, that will have a new-old way, method of doing some event. It's the CD that makes any decision for change which by AMA rules takes 100% vote to change a published competition rule.

5. I became a Contest Director in March of 1963. The event was a number of events with Free-Flight and Control-Line. While I had done some FF for a short time, and Control-Line competition for some years, I was ever so thankful for a group of entrants that assisted me in that contest. Even today I listen to the guys in the briefings, and ask for a vote if there are any different opinions. Once we start, then we are on the prescribed GO! BTW it was my grab-the-wheel that saved the 1972 NATs at Glenview NAS, and I was Man Power Director there, then Man Power Director and Assistant CL Director at the '73 Oshkosh Nats. For years I was the CD for the Skylarks RC Club in IL, along with other duties.

For the past 17 years, I have been CD for one event: Jetero RC's annual "Frozen Fickle Finger of Fate Competition Fun Fly". I always ask Jetero if they wish to stop it and so far it is again on the Sanctioned List for February 22, 2014. (I turn 78 on the 19th so I will be older and more experienced. ) There are 4 rounds. Each Round has 2 tasks. Winners in each round receive a plaque. In the overall 4 rounds, each contestant receives 1 point for each person he bests in that round. There are 4 rounds. Top 4 in total points receive a plaque and cash awards. Winners get a percentage of the total intake in entry fees. Total of 70-80% of intake goes to 4 top winners.

When I was a DVP in Dist VI back in the 1980 period I had a State and District Fun Fly Contest where clubs sent teams to a state event. Then the State teams met in a District event. It was much fun and getting to meet others was also very nice. It withered a couple years after I left the AMA EC.

So, to all of you young folks, the Club is a good thing. Club Events can be good, and IMO it always takes a dedicated modeler to take the reins and keep things going.
There is more to model aviation than simply boring holes in the sky. DO IT!