RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question about Model Airplane Weight Limits
Old 12-23-2013, 08:37 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll address an attitude that I'm seeing here that many newbies have, which is making decisions based on what is cheaper or easier instead of simply getting what the plane needs. You're flying a scale WWII bird; they aren't cheap. It's a flying art project, so go ahead and do it right. I know it will cost you some money, but it's going to be a nice plane once it's all done. At 9 pounds and 700 inches of wing, you'll be at 29 oz per sq ft of wing loading. Certainly that's flyable, but it's going to require some skill. If you're suffering from sticker shock from the OS 95 AX (great engine) have a look at the Super Tigre G90. I bought mine used and put it on an ugly stick. It's a torquey engine like all .90 engines are, and swings a nice big prop to pull the plane really well.
In case you didn't know, nearly everyone's .90-.95 is a bored out .60. They still have the .60 porting and intake and the .60 bottom end with the bigger cylinder and piston. That design lowers the power band by several thousand RPM, making them suitable for .60 size planes where you want to turn a bigger prop. They are not the same class of engines as the typical 1.00-1.20 engines that have considerably larger ports and intake to make big power with that displacement.