RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can I have some help clearing up some things?
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -JINGO-
Hello RC Universe,

I picked up the DHK Wolf BL:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1498

Specification of power system:

Brushless 3650 3970 KV motor (power 21 volt / empty load current 2 amp 10 awg cables)
Toro brushless sensor-less 35 amp ESC (10 awg cables)
7.4 v 2S 2300mah 20c lipo battery (10 awg cables)

There's a lot of conflicting information on the web and You Tube videos. These are the current assumptions I'm under:

1) Having a higher C rated battery is better?
- I'm working on the thought that MAH is the size of the "fuel tank" and the C is the "size of the pipe to allow the fuel out". The Motor will only pull what is required up to it's maximum amperage rating. I don't know what the Wolf BL motor wattage is. It's not in the instructions, so I can't work out it's amperage. In the manual there's nothing either, just the above 21 volts.

The wolf came with a basic 7.4 v 2S 2300 mah 20C lipo. I understand you do 7.4v X 2.3a = 46 amps continuous amperage. Possibly a burst of 40 c is 92 amps. Again, C could be a randomly assign "best guess" by the manufacture.

I put in a friends Reedy Wolf Pack 7.4 v 2S 6500 mah 25c lipo and ran the car hard for about 10 to 15 mins. Went on clay and gravel onto tarmac and jumped ramped kerb a few times. There was no "magic white smoke" and the engine didn't feel as hot to touch. I'm going to invest in a IR thermometer to take some readings.

The battery had already run my friends RC for good while before putting into mine. The 6500 mah definitely makes a differences compared to my 2300 mah.

The wolf power system uses 10 awg cables. I noticed the Reedy Wolf Pack has 14 awg cables. Should I be worried about that? The bigger cables meaning they're better suited to the power flow?
Ok to calculate the max current the battery can output....
7.4v 2S 6500mah 25c lipo
first u devide the mah by 1000, then times it by the c rating
6500mah / 1000 = 6.5a
6.5a x 25c = 162.5a.... Meaning that battery can supply 162.5 amps continuously

mah = how long ur run time will be
c = its a multiplier thats used with the mah rating to calculate the max current draw