RCU Forums - View Single Post - The New F86D Dog Sabre
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tanks have a solid brass vent line going to the top of the tank. My fill/clunk line extends about 2 inches inside the tank, then Tygon to length allowing full swing of the clunk.
Since there is not a neck to worry about splitting on the tanks, I just used a Dubro cap and gas/kero bung. It hasn't leaked yet.....
As I mentioned, I plumbed mine in series - which is also the way the CARF Lightning and Flash is plumbed - the pump really doesn't care if the correct fuel line diameter is used.
The tanks are just secured to the fuse sides with a dab of silicone - you don't need much.

There was a lot more in my submission - but Jay edited it down for space in the print edition.

Hysol 9462 is VERY different from JB Weld, or 30min epoxy. Each has its place - and really shouldn't be substituted for each other. Micro-balloons do nothing for strength - and in fact make the joint weaker. Search the archives of JPO's Contrails for the article Lance Campbell (of the big SR 71) did on strength and compatibility of epoxy resins.

My guiding principle is KISS - and each aircraft has its own issues. I have yet to run a check valve on the vent since it vents outside the plane ... if I get fuel inside, it is from another source, not the vent.

My 2 cents -
Greg