RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can I have some help clearing up some things?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -JINGO-

- The ESC and Motor amperage is the important rating. I've read and watched that you'd want a ESC with about 10 to 20% more amperage than your motors maximum. So a 50 amp motor, you'd match a 55 amp ESC or a 60 ESC. I've read that putting a 80 amp ESC on a 50 amp motor would and could cook and kill a motor?
On this no it doesn't matter if its 10-20% more
most my ESC's are 60A paired with motors of same amperage.
Now going higher on the ESC Amperage is no issue as it will only supply what the motor asks for. Only time you can run into issues is if you do the opposite, and pair a higher amp rated motor with a lesser rated ESC as the motor will ask for more then the ESC can deliver, and smoke it.
Basically if you have a 50A motor on a 80A ESC, and smoke the motor its due to poor gearing honestly if a 50A ESC was used with the 50A motor that burnt up it too probably woulda went up in flames.
Now overkill like that is also not a good thing as you are wasting money for the most part
I will be honest I do run a 100amp motor in my Stampede coupled with a 120A ESC. But that was not done to try an outdo the motor. It was done cause I never heard of a 100A ESC Same thing with say a 50A motor you pair it with a 60-65A ESC cause there are ESCs in that rating there are no 50A ESC's I know of, and you cant go down to 45A without risking smoking it.
I've also ran a 10-15A BL motor on a 35A ESC cause its what I had laying around with 0 repercussions (along with batteries that could deliver 150A's of juice )