RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cornell Michaels Kit Cutting
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Sundance2018

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Cornell Michaels Kit Cutting

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to make a quick post here about a wonderful guy and his kit cutting services. There are some posts on RCU already about KitCutter (not to be confused with Kit Cutter, Inc.) including some of my own, unfortunately the posts are a mixed bag including a bunch of trash talk, again, including some of my own.

So this is just my 2-cents in an attempt to set the record straight so please take it for what it is and nothing more.

I have been an avid kit builder for 35+ years and have a good deal of experience building everything from old stick-n-tissue Sterling Models to advance scratch-build kits from plans sets. Lately, I've moved into giant scale kit building (simply because my eyes are not good enough to see the small planes in the air any more). I actually love to build more than I do fly!
A number of years ago I started working with Michael and he's crafted me 5 kits of the most magnificent quality I have ever seen. These kits include a Pepino YMF-5, a Dave Andersen Focke-Wulf Ta152-H, an upscaled 1/4 scale Ziroli F8F-2 Bearcat, an upscaled 1/4 scale Brisighella StarDuster and my latest project is a giant scale Christen Eagle II.

Michael's kit cutting business is not his full time profession. This is something he does out of the enjoyment of creating nice kits for folks. With that said he takes his time and makes sure he does a first rate job using only the finest materials out there. On average I would say from time of order and payment I get my kits in around 6-8 months. To many folks that would seem unreasonable, but when you think about it, how many of us can build and nicely finish a custom model in less than that amount of time anyway? He has had his fair share of problems over the years including major health issues and problems with his home as well as internet hacker problems all of which have been a cause for disgruntlement amongst us RCers, but please don't be too quick to judge. We have all had our own issues I am sure and we all make mistakes.
Anyway, I really appreciate Michael's attention to customer service. He offers suggestions of wood choice & grade selection, he makes kit design modifications based on engine choice and he also offers other a sundry services such as design enlargements as well as other scale recommendations, which for me have made my buying experience a real pleasure as he always seems to have the right answers.

As a closing note, for those of you that have been skeptical on kit building and/or especially in using a kit cutting service, I would look up Michael and give him a chance. Make sure your expectations are clearly set and that you understand that you won't get a kit shipped out immediately upon order and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to All and to All a Good Flight!

Cheers - Tom