RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Build
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM
rem0.061
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abbott915
Right now I'm pretty much just a recreational flier. Not much more than a roll and a loop now and then. Starting to learn some of the other things, so I don't really need to hover it but I do want it to be powerful enough to learn some of these other basic maneuvers.

I'm still pretty new to flying and feel fortunate when my plane comes home in the same number of pieces as when I arrived at the field, and it doesn't take me two weeks of repairs to get it airborne again!!

I did see your post over on my other thread, and I was looking at the ESC reviews. Some people were having troubles with it. Any issues with yours?

A 16x8 seems like a big prop for that plane. My GP with a Super Tigre 90 had a 13x6.

Thanks for the response, I do need to get this figured out so I can finish up the firewall and fuse construction.
The wire gear on mine makes it look like it's on stilts; it should handle an 18" prop without scraping the grass. Electric motors tend to turn large diameter props at lower rpm while nitro engines work best with small props at high rpm. With your flying style I think a NTM 4258 500kv or a Rimfire .80 with a 6s lipo and 14" prop would work for you. Just know with the NTM motor you should carefully disassemble it and run a stream of CA glue between the magnets to keep them secured. The HK Red brick 100A ESC is just a cheap one if you want to save some money. I never program them or run more than 6s voltage through them, so I never have any trouble with them. The only programming options which you might need which should be available on which ever version you might get are the low voltage cutoff and the brake. You could use a minimum of an 80A ESC if you want, don't forget to get motor bullet connectors and battery plugs.

Lucky for you, you can make the firewall to fit the motor whereas I had to make a motor mount to adapt to the nitro setup. You will need some standoffs though to space the motor out far enough from the firewall, or you can make a mounting block like what most wood electric ARFs have.

Last edited by rem0.061; 01-05-2014 at 10:14 AM.