RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, just found this great thread and think I have a lot of reading to do. Sold the 1/5 scale airframe built but not covered a few years ago and since I love bipes, (still have the Super Skybolt) regretted it ever since. Found a 1/5 for sale and grabbed it up quickly. Looks to be covered with fabric and dope, (similar to my old Norseman) and painted red with cream trim. I'll post some pics later.

With other commitments had it put aside for a while and just started to dig into it. Still had the original aileron bellcrank setup and was horrendously sloppy, Took quite a bit of work, the most difficult was feeding extensions through the original wire holes in the ribs. Have bays built with C/F servo plates painted to match as close as possible. Also had to brush in adhesive along the outer edges of the cutouts to rebond the covering.

Currently I'm replacing the stock tailwheel with a spring rig. We fly off grass and I find the control much better, along with removing a lot of stresses from the rudder and aft fuselage. Was a bit of fun pulling the wire from the rudder and now plan to cut a groove into the bottom of the fuse and rudder to fit a large pin hinge. As it stands there is nothing connecting the two below the mid-hinge line.

It had prior been powered with an OS 120FS. I'm fitting a Saito 125a. Had to add a doubler to the front of the firewall as the old steel mount had crushed and deformed the wood. Suspect a bit of overtightening! Also pulled the original 16oz tank as it had some serious clogging. All cleaned out now, but wondering if that's a bit too large. I normally fly 9-10 minutes and my T/T Rare Bear with the same engine pulls approx half of the 12oz supply.

Have a few questions on this one. With no plans, looking to confirm the CofG location and normal flying weight. With that HUGE cowl and all that airframe sticking out in the breeze wonder if that is enough power for vertical performance and what the best prop combi will be. Note: Rare Bear is close to 13lbs, but obviously a lot less draggy.

Was the thrust line offset? Visually the firewall appears dead on and the original mount looks bolted dead center. With the mount fitted cannot see any deflection.

The original C/F and wire tail pushrods are also a bit suspect. The wires at each end are quite long and prone to bending under load. Not so critical on rudder, but elevator has my comfort level lower than I normally like. Anyone have a better solution?

p.s. Like to join the brotherhood.