RCU Forums - View Single Post - what gas engine to replace OS 1.20 four stroke?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBean
I replaced an OS 120 FS with a DLE 20 in a VQ 60 size Hurricane. The DLE 20 turned the same prop 500 more rpm than the OS, not that the plane needed the extra power. I had a 91 Magnum FS in the Hurricane. I had to add lead weight and a heavy hub to balance. The 91 developed problems as in not worth fixing. Then I discovered that the 120 weight the same as the 91, lead wtg and heavy hub. Well, no use hauling around dead weight when you can have cubic inches. I have converted the entire fleet to electric or gas. No more glow. When I installed the DLE 20 I mounted both the receiver and ignition Nimh batteries in the cowling for cg purposes. Now with gas planes that don't need the battery weight up front, I have started to use Life 6.6 v 1100ma batteries, one for the receiver and one for the ignition with a 5v regulator for the ignition. This reduces the battery weight by half and help keep the weight of the gas conversions down.
The Tech Aero IBEC will reduce battery weight down to half. One less battery (the ignition) and half the battery maintenance requirements. The safety features of the TA IBEC is worth the money (40 bucks). Off subject but may be worth something to some......