RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 AM
cjlear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjlear
Well the wind had stopped so I went to a local sports ground with my daughter this morning. Everything checked out, there was a slight southerly breeze. Planned to do a couple of touch'n'gos before flying properly.

Went to full power and it just went up. By the time I'd trimmed the rudder to stop it turning it was about 100' and climbing fast. Cut the throttle and flew some circles while I figured out how to get it back down. Right then the wind picked up to a good 15mph. Fantastic timing. The SC was at a couple of hundred feet and I was still circling, but the wind was pushing it away. Tried going to full throttle every time it was pointed in my direction and cutting it when it was pointed away, that just made it porpoise. I dived to get some speed up into the wind, but it turned away. Managed a successful loop! And then it just turned to crap, the wind was getting stronger and took it further and further away. I gave up controlling it when it was just a speck, cut the throttle and watched it sink out of sight.

No sign from the car search, must be in someone's backyard. Will do some flyers (hah!) to put out later.

Originally Posted by Voodoo101
Hey, that's too bad. Hopefully you'll hear something from someone when you get the flyers out. Wind and first time flyers rarely get along.

Hope you get it back.

Originally Posted by cjlear
Thanks Voodoo.

Â*http://youtu.be/H104O4goV6Q
Originally Posted by Saburo Sakai
Cjlear, I felt my stomach drop reading your post-we know the desperate feeling you had, with so little control!
Whether you find your bird or not, you've GOT to get back into the air, pronto! Alone or with one friend, that last sensation of being out of control must be quashed, smashed, with a bold, baby-step flight where you end the day under control of that bird, even if for just a few moments. When everything's checked out and functioning, know that your bird WILL respond to your input. You will REALLY begin to grow, and be a good pilot. Press onward and overcome! You will enjoy this fulfilling experience!

Well well well, here we are. My family spent Christmas overseas so the rule was "no presents" but my daughter went and got me one anyway. It was a big rectangular box, quite light, and it rattled a bit. I couldn't think what it was and was frankly a bit annoyed that she'd gone and spent money when we'd all agreed not to.

Got back home and she handed me the box. Closed my eyes, ripped off the paper, opened my eyes to find a brand new Super Cub. I had absolutely no idea. Just blew me away (pardon the pun).

So in the next day or two, when the wind drops to NOTHING, I'll be at the local park again... with my name and phone number clearly labelled on the wing and fuselage!!!