RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF Ultra Lightning Red Bull Build
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaaaz
Thx for the info Melvin, i was thinking of putting the air in the nose and the batts around the front wheel. Or will i need more weight in the nose. I think the 180RX weighs about the same as the 160SX.

Today i installed the flap servo's

I'v read that the fin was strenghtend because it could break off when you do a snap roll....but the only vids i've seen about the lightning, everybody is flying basic aerobatics like loops, rolls, knife edge.
Is anyone flying snap rolls, spins, tail slides, wing overs, etc... with the lightning, and if so, how does it preform?
I'm not a big fan of speed, so i probably will be flying slowly most of the time....
The early kits (like yours I guess) had single carbon tube spars on the Fin. Someone flying very hard broke this, so CARF added a second tube glued in the main outer, like this its solid. If you are missing the double tube even gluing a dowel inside the carbon will add enough strength to sleep well. Yes the UL snaps and spins well, no nasty surprises with either. I have a friend with one and he is turning it inside out every flight (inc smoke) and has no issues, though he is not a speed freek either. I don't feel it needs the second fin fixing, but does no harm either.

Dave