Thread: ESM FW D-9
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=HoundDog;11719021]
Originally Posted by kahloq
Deadstick....I should warn you about using that red valve with no needles....
Yes it will work and that's what I ended up trying on the me-110 after the failure with deploying the gear.
The problem stems from the fact that the needle hole is now completely open and if the servo operating the valve doesn't close the valve all the way 100% in either direction, the valve just dumps out all your air.

What would happen if I took the needless and jam nuts out of my ROBART red valve and replaced them with an inch of air tubing and the wheel collar set up mentioned in an earlier post? Would that be a remedy for the course adjustment on the needle valves or not? IT won't solve the gear failure problem due to a leak but it might help the fine adjustment with the rate at witch the gears moves.
No not really, but you could remove the needles and put the wheel collars on the lines between the valve and retracts. I have not personally ever removed the needle valves, but all they do is restrict exhaust air flow, so I don't see why you can't do it. That said, I will defer to those who have remove the needles to comment

If you have trouble with a bounce during extend using the red valve, adding a restrictor in both lines will help as you are slowing the volume of air both exiting, and entering the cyl. Once the uplock is released, the cyl doesn't have the volume of air behind it, and has to push the air out of the other side, so it smooth's out the bounce . Takes a bit of fiddling, but its not hard.

In my experience, smaller, or cheaper gear are harder to smooth out than larger, more expensive gear. This is because more expensive gear typically have brass rollers and nylon bushings on the slide, and the pivot points are all bushed....there is just less friction. Larger is also easier due to larger working area and volume of air.

Funny this subject came up, I happen to be working on gear for another model. No guarantees, but I can get a video tonight, I will post showing no restrictors, one restrictor, and two. I have a set of ESM retracts kicking around, and they definitely on the low end of the qty scale. Maybe I will demo restrictor setup on those

Last edited by 70 ragtop; 01-24-2014 at 07:33 AM.