RCU Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn Myth
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
I'm sure you fly the governments UAV well inside of it's flight envelope, just like I fly my company's airbus, & every other aircraft I've been compensated to fly. As far as "microburst" here is an exact quote from my statement: "That is not linearly the same as our low energy theory, but it corroborates it."
Your claim neglects to address the low energy (close to stall) regime of flight. How has the manufacturer come up with the recommended approach speeds for you UAV? Why the buffer above stall?
In order for the original statement of this thread to remain true, you would need to be correct 100% of the time, but in order for it to be discredited, I would only need to be right once.
It is far to
definitive of a statement for aviation.
Approach speed is 43kts., stall is 37 kts. Wind limits are 35 kts. You do the math and see how close to stall we are operating. If the downwind turn myth were at all true, we'd fall out of the sky every time in the 35 kt. wind. Once again the micro burst analogy doesn't corroborate anything as they are two very different phenomena. Again, the telemetry files don't lie, they are right there in black and white. There is no change in IAS while turning in significant or any other wind for that matter.