RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 AM
JoeMamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apalsson
There is a very good description of this on page 15 or 16 of this thread. What I did was drill the struts as described in the manual, then slid the fairings onto the struts and bolted them on.
I then made sure the fairings were a good fit to both sides.
Once I was happy with the fit, I removed the struts and put a few dabs on 5-min epoxy / micro ballons into the fairings where they met the struts. Then bolted the struts back on with the fairings taped into place to make sure they had the right fit.
I didn't put a lot, just enough to lock them into place until the epoxy mix set.

Once I had done this, the rest was easy. I filled up the fairings in two or three portions until I was satisfied they wouldn't deform anymore. Each time bolted them back onto the plane and held in place with tape.
This sounds a lot more complicated than it is to do. It ended up with a nearly 100% fit
It appears I used the same procedures. The only thing additional I did was to place a small piece of wax paper (3"x3") to the ends of each strut just after placing the epoxy/micro balloon mixture, and just before bolting up each strut. When I tightened down each strut screw, a small amount of epoxy was squished out which was easily cleaned up.

The epoxy won't stick to wax paper, and the paper peels off easily after the epoxy sets.

The ends of each strut now conform perfectly to both the wings and the fuselage.

Joe M.