RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Treevenge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now to resurrect this thread once again... So I was given one of these cubs several months ago minus most of the electronics but with a brushless motor(not installed). I determined to fix it up and learn to fly with it, and as of several weeks ago I can successfully fly it.
I did a lot of modifications to this plane, as well as some done by the previous owner. Most notably, it's now powered by an Exceed RC Alpha 370-1080kv on a custom 1" standoff mount turning an APC 8x4e. With a 3s 1300Mah lipo, I'm getting 7 min flighttime, and good performance. It's fast and will readily loop. The aileron throw has been increased to 5/16" and I've made a number of structural reinforcements.

The horizontal stab. has had a popsicle stick spar added by the prev. owner, and I added a bent 2-56 rod to reinforce the joining of the elevator halves. The wing strut attachment was modified by drilling out the forward of the two strut mounting points on the wing and the tiny screw replaced with a 2-56 bolt through the wing. The wing itself was reinforced there by adding a 1" diameter disc of 2mm plasticard glued to the bottom of the wing. In addition, I added a length of 64lb test monofilament fishing leader tied in a loop at each end and secured to these wing bolts. It passes under the fuse and serves as a backup to the fragile wing struts-if a strut fails the wing won't fold.

It was a bit of work getting this thing fixed up but it flies great now! This little plane is quite fast and handles well-just don't try flying really slow or it will stall. It will readily loop, Immelmann, or cuban-8. It still won't snaproll, the roll rate is poor even after increasing aileron throw. All-up weight is approximately 14.5oz.