RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM FW D-9
Thread: ESM FW D-9
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 PM
deadstick79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kahloq
I do not own a 6ch Dsi. My 190 D9 is on my Jr 9303 9 ch radio.
I do not have any elevator to flap mix. The plane doesn't need it. Yes, check balance of the spinner, but mind required no messing with..it was fine.
You want this plane nose heavy or it will NOT stick to the runway when you land. The wing has a ton of lift relative to the weight of the plane. You will more then likely find out that you will NEED to use full flaps to land just to cause enough drag to slow it down......AND this includes windy conditions. If you don't use full flaps, you'll find the plane just keeps floating by. I mentioned many pages back that the first two times I tried to land, I had half flaps on...typical of what might have been used on any other plane I have with a small breeze. The several attempts I made caused me to have to go around as the plane just wouldn't slow down at all. And I mean with throttle at zero. Id cut the throttle completely after crossing the threshold of the runway after already slowing it down with throttle barely at 1/4 only to have the plane stay airborne the entire length of the 800ft runway. I then had to cut the throttle a good ways out on final approach.

With full flaps, I was able to cut the throttle as I crossed the threshold and get the plane to touch down in a reasonable space(200-300 feet) and then let it roll out. This plane will STAY flying at very low speeds, but it is visually deceiving because the plane is rather large and your thinking there's no way this plane can slow down that much without stalling. There is somewhat of a fine line. Get too slow, and you'll bounce the landings. Come in too fast, and you touch down and bounce right back up into the air. This is what full flaps helps cancel out. You want to main wheel land the plane and let the tail drop on its own. We've had this discussion already.....the consensus was....do NOT 3 point this plane. ....at least not until your very comfortable with it and even then the pro fliers like Rammstein basically said it works better to main wheel land.
Maybe once you've flown it some and your used to it, you may find a slightly different way works best for you.
Thanks! The plans called for 30mm flap travel! Do you find that to be the case?
I taxied up and down my road and she's very impressive! tail wheel steering went limp and I thought a cable had broken! I taxied her back into the yard with short bursts and found the rudder to be very effective! turns out the cheap plastic sleeve broke back in the fuse causing the cable on the left to become too long Fixed that! The 50cc is really powerful.
She is only slightly nose heavy which is what I like! I ordered the blue Robart valve so once thats installed she'll be ready to maiden!
Dan