RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need advise and help on new project
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1234
Tom, My Curtiss has a 98" wing. I'll get me some of the natural solartex on the way. I've also got to order some streamline tubing to replace some that is damaged on the landing strut. I'm going to clean the frame up and make a list of part's I need to order so I can move on this baby. I'm going to replace all the horn's, rod's, servo's and hinges. The original wing struts were made from wood. I would like to make the from some thin wall 1/2" streamline tubing if possible?
The wing struts on IKON desiogns are functional. Be careful, if you plan to use streamlined tubing. The K&S product is thin wall, and is not sufficient,.I hear, but have not tried that this tubing will work. http://www.flygtm.com/products.php?type=struts I assume the price is on a per foot basis. I would ask the vendor if they are of sufficient strength for a wing with functional struts.

I've built several IKON kits, and do not share the view of their products that you have related.

IKON kits were for advanced builders. Their design assumed that the builder had advanced his skills to the point where these kits would be challenging, but completion was not beyond their reach. IKON was a cottage industry. They didn't have die cutting presses. The kits were cut by hand. Some alternate materials were implemented, which may explain the "poor wood" comment.

The plans were fine. The instructions, because this model was for advanced builders, were minimal. They covered only any areas where the designer felt the builder may have problems. Emil (the designer) had an unusual way of wording things, which sometimes left his instructions open for interpretation. Back in the day, a quick call to him would clear things up.

There are several of us who collect, and build these kits. We enjoy the challenge, and yes, the quality of these kits.

Here are pics of some of the IKON designs that I have owned and built over the years. My latest one (the green/yellow Cessna Airmaster) was built 2 years ago. The kit was still in great shape ! Although some are 20 years old, I still have all of these, except the orange/blue Fairchild which met an early demise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40868.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1968359   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3216.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	1968360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40905.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.0 KB