RCU Forums - View Single Post - Biplane VS Monoplane
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 PM
deanz406
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just getting interested in the classic style of pattern flying, and am getting help from a fellow club member who has flown pattern for many years. I know most do fly, or prefer to fly the typical low, or mid wing pattern ship. I wondered if some of u would chime in on knowing, or seeing anyone flying pattern with a biplane, and what were some of the types of bipes that they flew. I know I have seen articles many years ago about Lou Andrews and his famous Aeromaster bipe, and I think I remember there was a DeBolt Livewire bipe, and a plane called a J Bipe that was supposed to have been used in pattern. I do remember a fellow club member flying a Jungmeister, and another fellow with a Stampe SV4. Like me, they were satisfied with doing the basics, and were very smooth pilots. They liked these bipes because they said they flew excellent because of both wings being swept back.
At 70 yrs old, I don't think I'm going to do any competition things, I just want to try to perform some of the basic maneuvers, and follow the basic pattern routine. Everyone at our field and club who fly any kind of pattern routine, uses a Kaos, Dirty Birdi, Curare, etc, and I want to be a little different. I guess i just have a preference for a bipe, love the way they look and fly(just like yesteryear), and I usually am flying some kind of scale plane. I thought i would try to add a little pizazz to my flying itinerary, and see if i can learn something new. My enjoyment is for a fun day, relaxed flying, and nothing too frustrating- as well as wrecking a plane.
If anyone has knowledge, or remembers any of these planes, please do let us know what u have seen, or remember. I have a couple Aeromasters, and a Skybolt that I can learn the basic pattern with, and have a low wing plane designed by a local builder and flyer called a Tavis(I think his own name for it). I also have an Ultimate 120 that I want to install an OS 1.20 4 stroke in, but I'll try that one out after I can get the others mastered. If u know, or have seen a biplane in any form of competition, please let us know what plane, and mfgr of the kit. Thanks-- Dean

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromasters 187.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1968579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromasters 186.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	1968580   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3615.JPG
Views:	903
Size:	146.9 KB