RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Building" an ARF or RTF (?)
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
even today's modern kits are head and shoulders above the 'old kits' in terms of walking you through each and every glue joint.
It must have been this way for at least 33 years now. Because I remember the very first SIG Kougar I bought and built in '81 had a thick instruction booklet included which was basically each and every step from the thought of getting into R/C flying to actually flying the plane. 33 years fast forward and the very same booklet is included in the SIG Kougar kit. Even the pix are all still the same, I remember since I also built two SIG Kougars in the mid 90's as well, and back then I thought it was interesting how the booklet and pix were all still exactly the same.

Now I'm building a really old SIG Komet that I purchased recently. The kit has to be at least 40 + years old. Actually the instructions are just one big sheet, much like a blue print and that is it. This build has been so great for me simply because of all the building experiences I accumulated over the past 30 + years and that is all. Had I just stepped into this old SIG Komet build without any past experiences building, it wouldn't have turned out at all as well as it has. In order for kits to be sold, someone's got to start teaching people how to build them. Someone's got to start teaching people how to work with wood. As I was saying earlier, the school system doesn't even let kids do woodshop anymore.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 02-18-2014 at 03:01 PM.