RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Futaba Losing Money?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
It's simple. They aren't worth as much now as they were when they came out. Newer stuff with more features is out now, so the consumers want the competitors' products more or even want Futaba's newer items more. When it was the hot new thing they could get more for it and so they did. That made it worthwhile to invest in the R&D to make a reliable 2.4ghz receiver, unlike Spektrum in the early days. Now it's worth less, so they sell it for less.
True dat.. Specktrum turned out some half cooked stuff when they first came out. I bought a DX-6 within a month of their introduction and soon found out that the AR 6000 receivers were screwed up. I have since trashed the whole setup and all of the receivers but I did buy a DX-7s which I actually like.

Futaba has always been high reliability and also expensive but worth it. I still have a 72 MHZ Futaba transmitter that I use for two of my older planes and it works as good as ever. It's funny when I go to the field I don't have to wait for a frequency pin. In a few years I'll probably get a newFutaba system. You know the old saying, you get what you pay for and that is especially true with the radio system.