RCU Forums - View Single Post - Royal-FW190A8
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all right! so after a couple of coats of primer here and there and a few sand backs I finally got the painting actually started I first began on the rudder since it was going to be yellow and my experience with the warbird colors yellow is it doesn't cover all that well, after a few coats it needs to be sanded a little for the final layers,
I included a pic with the rudder on the fuse for looks, but it still needs a coat or 3 to get the rich color I want,next time I paint the yellow(under the cowl chin) I will prime with a white spray primer i use frequently, because it just takes so many coats over the grey primer.

next was to paint the under side of the wing, H-stab, and fuse sides, with RLM-76 its a med light blueish grey color,I have a decent quantity of it so I shot most of the fuse with it just to get a coat of paint everywhere except the top of the elevators and the gun hood area which still is going to get some work done.

I retracted the gear and placed some news paper in the wells to cover the wheels for masking and using my Huskey touch up gun from Home Depot I shot all the surfaces and allowed them to dry.

once dry I sanded the areas with some 220 grit no clog paper to get any rough or bad areas cleaned up, I hit it again with a nice even coat over all the areas I felt needed some extra paint or that I had sanded through to the primer.

the touch up gun works great powered by my compressor at about 35lbs pressure, it takes a little getting used to at first but I have worked out the kinks shooting the Water Based material thinning about 25% with just plain tap water,SF water is pretty good right out of the tap if your using well water or something with a high mineral content then distilled or purified might be a better choice, I know allot of guys use window washer fluid and I have as well, but plain water works fine for a hotter mixture I have put 5-10% denatured alcohol in my spray mix if the weather is a bit on the cold side.
right now were in a serious drought and the weather is unseasonably warm here great for spraying not so great otherwise, the paint dry's off quickly when I use the touch up gun and apply thin coats but I am going to wait till tomorrow before I start on the camo scheme
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190 A8 007.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	1971701   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190 A8 003.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1971702   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190 A8 005.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	1.97 MB