RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonMcCormick
Matt you are the man, I'm sitting here looking out the window at the snow crying about what a pain in the a?? it is to go down into the basement and dig out skis and put them on a plane and then I go online and see you do that. Again You Are The Man!
Haha, the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say, is that I got stuck in a snow pile 8-10" deep. Took Augie and me 45 minutes to get me on my way.

Augie is the field's supervisor and was the key guy to get use approval from the farmer that owns it. Our field is literaly immediately behind Augie's back yard, and we have to drive through Augie's driveway to get to it. We are very lucky that Augie just happened to love toy airplanes.

Here's the second part of the video where I slice and diced the cardboard into skis. http://youtu.be/JWCloA6IoGQ. Courtesy of Augie.

The thing lost in all of this is the fact that these where a simple tape job onto my landing gear. The gear set is my own design and cast in my molds (both struts and pants). There is a single 4-40 screw holding each leg into the fuse. The gear set is light and springy (4 1/2 ounces total, including wheels, axles) and works great on up to 12 pound airplanes.