RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
When coupling my tailwheel tiller arm to either the rudder or to pull-pull cable, I use a spring arrangement much like the FS Cub. I bend .035 music wire into a "U" shape and then put small hooks at each end. using one of these inserted into each end of a compression spring (from a ballpoint pen if the size is right) I then hook the rudder tiller arm or the pull-pull cables to one end of the "spring" assembly on each side and the other ends to the tiller arm on the tailwheel. Sounds complicated, but is not hard to do and like the FS assembly is failsafe and cannot overstretch. Not inventing the wheel, just reducing the size to our needs.As a further aid, I use an on-board voltage monitor. Anytime a servo is at limit or something is binding, the voltage monitor will drop into the red zone indicating a voltage drop due to the stall or bind. I can then fix the issue before the first flight or before every flight.
That's another good idea; the springs are always in compression rather than stretching... you would never over stress the springs using your method.

The idea of having the springs inline was just in case binding occur with the animated control stick in the cockpit during flight... that's all it would take to bring it down in a bad way... if binding did occur, the aileron servos would continue to move the ailerons... the chances of binding occurring are slim, but its cheap insurance, just in case.

Did I mention that Murphy (law) and I go way back... he and I crossed paths too often to be a coincidence lol

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 02-26-2014 at 02:07 PM.