RCU Forums - View Single Post - NEW Top Flight P-40??? 1/5 scale
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 05:42 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Starfighter
Hi. There are two things to do that will fix this, and keep it from happening again. Take a piece of Great Planes or any other CA hinge and cut it in a round shape and approx 1in overall dia. (thats why use the Great Planes material as it comes in one large sheet). Roughen the inner surface of the screw hole approx 2in overall with 150 grit sandpaper and remove dust. Take a piece of Blue masking tape and stretch over the hole on the outside of cowl. This to keep the CA from wicking out to the outside of the cowl. Glue CA hinge in place but don't use too much glue, and don't use kicker. Then take 3/4 in. glass cloth and cut into 2 in.dia. round shape. Cut as round as possible and glue into place over the CA hinge using thin CA or thin layer of 5min epoxy. Done this way, and the screw holes will generally not deform and the cowl will stay in good shape. After all is dry, drill your attaching holes using a piece of scrap wood against inside of cowl as you drill. This will keep the fiberglass from splintering too. You could also use carbon fiber too, but more expensive, and may still crack. The CA hinge material will not crack.
"Try it, you'll like it."
Ken (Starfighter)
I did mostly the same but used left over pieces of the cowl that were cut out for the muffler.I have a little over 100 flights and I hope That I have to do it again at 200
Mike,
As for the J-tec muffler I had the same problem with muffler cracking and coming loose.on both my P47 and P40. I finally went to a Slimline in the P40 and the stock DLE55 on the P47. There was no crash or belly landing involved in my cracked mufflers. This also happened to two other club members using these mufflers.