RCU Forums - View Single Post - Everything you need to know about LiPo batteries...
Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSP972
Thanks, Rob; copy all.

25 minutes??? Holy cow… works for me.

Think I'm gonna try a brushless Rustler. The LHS has some NIB, within a few bucks of Tower's price. He also has Venom 2S 5400mAh 20C sticks for $62, which matches Tower's price. These batteries have the "universal" connector goodies, so I don't have to fool around with making new charge cords.

Regarding the radio… I'm tempted to set it up on my Futaba 12Z airplane/heli radio, just to eliminate one extra thing (the car TX) to drag along to the field. Back in the day of 72/75mHz, that was a big no-no. But with 2.4gHz… who would care? If the radio with this Rustler is anything like the radios that came with the nitro trucks and buggies I had before, its absolute bottom-tier gear. Oh, I'm sure it works well enough, but… I've got several Futaba FASST park flyer receivers laying idle.

Anyway… cool, a new toy to play with and re-learn. This electric gig has rejuvenated my interest in the hobby. After almost 30 years of doing the wet-power stuff, I was close to being burned out.

I've heard of guys using "stick" radios for cars. If that's what yer comfy with, why not? And true, the RTR radios don't have many adjustment options some folks consider essential, but they do indeed do the job, and some actually DO come with more advanced features, these days.

That price is normal retail for that battery. I think 20C is a little conservative. I have found, despite theoretical calculations, that if a motor system draws a lot of power from a battery, and that pack strains to deliver it, the pack heats up, and heat is bad in electronics. I'd be happier to see you get 30C. Check out the Gens Ace brand at HobbyPartz.com . Comparable battery for 20% less.

It is pretty amazing the advancement in electric motor and battery systems for RC. The advent of affordable and safe LIPO battery tech, and brushless motor systems that rival nitro power has given e-powered RC a real boost in the last 5 years. Glad you're discovering a new aspect of an old hobby! Welcome.