RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Checklst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickbuilder
I probably would fit into your definition. If you see me, you would put me in that category. The problem is, you would be very wrong. There are invisible handicaps. One is Acute Heart Disease. Someone with an ejection fraction of 32 or lower is at high risk of cardiac arrest. Having to walk greater distances aggravates the situation. Another invisible disability is Rheumatoid Arthritis. This is a crippling disorder which inflames and swells your joints. There is no cure for either of these problems.

Yes, I have permanent disability tags and placards. If it bothers you to see me with them because I'm not yet confined to a wheelchair, then that's your problem. I'll be in one soon enough, perhaps then you will be satisfied. Until then, deal with it. And please try to not be a Jerk.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
AMA 4720.
Would not try to be a jerk to you stickbuilder My response was just a comment due to my boredom at the mall one day. My strong opinion is not just on my observation of that day but is based on my daughters observation(as a Special education teacher) and my son who is a US Navy Doctor doing his residency as we speak. This discussion has been topic of conversation at my house on a few occasions.

Just to clarify so I'm not perceived as a jerk........I sat on that bench for an hour(observing) with crutches in hand, and my daughters certified therapy dog(golden retriever) wearing his service jacket next to me. 12 people used the HDCP spots..... 5 were older and had no spring to their step and one was a given she had an oxygen tank.................but half of the people springing out of their cars seeing me, change direction and went into the mall at a door farther away from me(just seemed like a little avoidance to me) I would not have said anything just because of what you brought up Hidden disability.............with that said almost 50% of HDCP parked that day exited the mall with their "To Go food bags from TGIF restaurant taking the long way around me.

I personally think they were using a loved one HDCP placard to park close to the restaurant......JMO. Just as a side note 5 of the 6 people I guessed as using the placards properly ask to pet what they thought was a service dog.(no avoidance)

Now back to the original question a discount!!!!!!!! personally I think the AMA could add a line with a check box on the renew form, asking for a donation to lower the cost to Veterans, handicap people and extra donation for handicap Veterans........depending on the amount collected the AMA could give a discount based on collections..............if enough is given..........it could be free,..........it would be vary nice if AMA donator could direct his donation towards the group he wants. Just a thought.

Bill sorry if my comments hit you the wrong way ....not my intention flying brother.

Last edited by Checklst; 03-13-2014 at 04:44 PM.