RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA doesn't care about disable people or veterans!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1g1yy2
For years now I have been trying to get the AMA to change their policy regarding disabled people including veterans. They give a membership discount for retired (over 65) people -- but not for disable vets or other disabled people. The discount is only about $20 per year, but for those of us who are disabled it would make a big difference. And it is only fair considering they give that discount for those over 65 regardless of income and health.
When speaking to the AMA (a previous VP Jim McNeil, and others) I have been insulted and told that I don't matter because there are very few disabled people who fly RC.
I have been an AMA member (#145497) since 1982, give or take some years because of health problems. I am a veteran. The AMA doesn't care!!
Please help -- I need some support on this issue. Thanks very much,
John
John,
I don't know if your idea is right or wrong and I'm not going to pass judgement on the benefits of your proposal. Perhaps you are not going about it the right way. Our local club has raised over $168,000 for Kosair Childrens Hospital and Kosair Charities. As a direct result of these "Wings for Kids Air Shows" our club has shown member growth of more than 50% in the last 6 years to more than 180 members. If we would like the AMA to promote more charitable fly-ins throughout the U.S. then the best way to show the benefit would be to have a charitable event locally and show the AMA the benefit. We have done that.

If you want to have the AMA provide more benefits for special interests, and I think yours is a good one, then perhaps building a program/event at your local level and show the AMA the benefit it provides for our hobby and for others in need. Good Luck with your efforts.