RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie to gas, DLE 55 problem !
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 09:10 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 185skywagon
Hi Guys

First time poster and my first gas engine so very limited knowledge , please help !

My dle 55 is new, it was running ok on the ground but at full power it had a miss. In the air was running like crap above about 1/3rd throttle.
After some research I had the spark plug gapped from about .017 to .022 and this seemed to cure the full throttle miss. Ran pretty well on ground. I gapped the plug after some more reading to .024 to maybe help the mid crap but no noticeable change anywhere.
Last flight was ok, but missing and sounding rubbish from about 1/3rd throt to full but once at full was nice with only the occasional miss (every 20 seconds or so) but as the flight progresses it seems to get worse and worse until throttle response is so poor it wont even make full power or anything reliable above 1/3rd. Everything below 1/3rd has been fine with good idle and good response.

Set up a ground run to get a quick vid to show and its worse. I now wont take it into the air. From about 1/3rd up its doing this (and full now) even on the ground where previously it was ok !
Various adjustments of the valves show no change to this condition and is currently set at about factory settings, perhaps a tad richer (operating at sea level at around ISA conditions)

I'm out of ideas as to what this is, please help ! And it could be something so stupid and simple, I'm a proper newbie when it comes to gas engines !

Video below.

Running about 32:1, put about 2 gals through, plug at 0.024 gap, 4 cell nimh voltage around 5 on the ignition. (was running a 6.6 life thought this could be a prob but makes no difference with the nimh)

I really appreciate any advice or input !

Thanks !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3UexNfIGc
Are you sure you have the spark plug cap all the way on the spark plug. When installed correctly the wire snap ring will be all the way past the hex of the spark plug.It goes on very hard at first and even harder to get off.Put some silicone grease on the spark plug and inside the boot,Not to much.
BCCHI