RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is West System a Polyester Epoxy?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 04:44 PM
ezbrit
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Really Bob? This is what I was trying to avoid by saying that you go do what you do and I'll go do what I do. Obviously we weren't going to see eye to eye on this, but for you to question my credentials and to make assertions about my abilities and experience when your ego feels threatened is a bit much. It's quite clear that you didn't have a clue what Tg, T of g or T sub g was, until you Googled it after my last post, otherwise you wouldn't had made the comment about the fuselage turning to rubber at 110 degrees and when you thought it was CTE just confirmed that fact to me. Carbon black is still carbon (we use paint with a UV blocker in it), if you are experiencing temperatures of 240 to 280 degrees, then I'm surprised that the World Energy Committee isn't on your doorstep asking you about you new self perpetuating heat source because the radiant heat from the sun isn't going to produce those kind of temperatures. If that was the case, we wouldn't need a kitchen stove as you would be able to cook food and boil water outside. As stated, we have done extensive research on the sun's radiant heating on composite parts and even on the Equator you would be pushed to exceed 200 degrees and at our latitude is considerably less. Also at those temperatures you stated, you would be on the Tg point of most medium temperature prepregs and way beyond laminating resins, so you had better inform Burt at Scaled Composites that all his composite aircraft are structurally compromised.
As you stated, you are employed as a machinist. My employment is as a highly experienced composite laminator / fitter and our customers include major manufacturers in Aerospace, Automotive, Racing, Marine and I have been an advisor on the Gravity movie in regards to composite structures. I have been involved in projects of some well known R/C scale pilots and I certainly don't think that x number of post reflects credibility. I noticed by your previous posts that you like to butt heads with other members on this forum site, probably for the same reasons that you are butting heads with me. I think what you wrote about your impressions of me is more of a reflection of your abilities. Go down to your local boat repair yard and ask them to do an epoxy repair on a polyester part. I'll guarantee you'll get some strange looks. Oh, and there is a simple way to bond plywood formers into an uncored, thin laminate skinned fuselage without it deforming the outer surface and I'm surprised you don't know this with all your years of 'expertise'.

Well, I wish I could say it has been fun.......
Ian

BTW. the boys in the shop send their thanks for the entertainment you have provided them with today with your comments and ideas on this thread.