RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cub Man
Guys I know i have seen alot of talk on what to replace the o rings on the robart gear with. After some thought I will stay with O rings from my local fastenall store. about 2.50 for 15 of them. Had thought of a bungey cord, but if it brakes, you have nothing. If one o ring brakes you are still good. unless you slam it in, dont think you will brake all 4 o rings at one time. I do replace mine every year.
Cub Man, the bungee cord was an idea I picked up from a club member at our field... it does work; my inlaw is running it on his H9 cub... I put a short piece of 200lb test fishing wire to act as a strain relief so on a hard landing the bungees are not over stretched... the fishing wire loops up over the brace and connects between the lower o-ring / bungee pegs on each side... a couple loops of the ends of the wire through a crimp collar holds the entire loop together... the excess is then tucked away inside the bungee covers... the excess isn't that much, so its not easily seen... the only part visible is the short section going over the brace... on a hard landing the excess wire just gets pulled out of the covers; just tuck it back in and you're all set to go again... we haven't intentionally slammed it down on the ground to see what will happen, but for normal operation and the occasional hard landing, nothing has broken yet.... but I understand your concerns, regarding a complete failure, you'll be on the belly!... I'm sure if you land hard enough, the leverage action of the landing gear may break the 200lb test fishing wire, but if you can break the fishing wire, the o-rings are sure to go.

John M,