RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to jets and needing some help
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I started into jets a couple of years ago with a Boomerang XL. I basically dug through all the forums for any build info I could find and also for info on the turbine install, etc. I also found a local jet modeller that had me over to his house and he double checked my setup and helped me start the turbine for the first time. Everything went very smoothly but in spite of how much preparation I had done, we discovered the turbine wasn't centered in the airframe perfectly. I had carefull measured everything but it turned out the former that I used as a reference wasn't installed square and as a result my turbine sat at a bit of an angle. We quickly took care of that and it started right up without a hitch. I also set up my spare transmitter as a buddy box as per AMA rules you are required to be on a buddy box until your instructor feels you're ready to take the qualification flight for your turbine waiver. I was fortunate enough to have a friend that agreed to help me through the turbine waiver process. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to attend our local jet rally on Friday, which was the day that the event director wanted all maidens to be performed. Since my friend wasn't available, I asked a couple of experienced pilots that I knew were qualified (by reputation) and they were either busy or simply didn't feel comfortable test flying another persons jet. I did eventually find someone that was willing to help me and I got in a couple of flights on Friday and on Saturday and Sunday my friend took over and I completed my turbine waiver that weekend. Still, in spite of the fact that I was a very experienced flier, and the Boomerang XL is very straightforward to fly, it took a good number of flights before I felt completely comfortable flying with a bunch of other jets in the pattern.

My advise would be, don't show up at an event unless you are very sure that everything is sorted and you can focus on learning what you need to know to complete your turbine waiver. Also, have a buddy box setup all configured so you don't need to mess with that. The place to sort out any possible issues is at home when you have access to tools and time to do the job right. Also, it's best to remember that the other guys there want to fly their own jets and probably have very limited spare time. Most are more than happy to share that time to help someone out but it's always best to be prepared so you aren't wasting time on unnecessary things.

Last edited by wfield0455; 03-20-2014 at 09:16 AM.