RCU Forums - View Single Post - please submit your comments and pictures on your favorite .60 and .65 engine.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earlwb
Well the OS .65AX is tuned to turn larger propellers. So it ought to be fine. It now tends to act more similar to a four stroke engine. When you looks at the suggested props they do suggest some fairly big props for it.

The Saito 82 engine is actually smaller than the Saito 100, 115 and 125 engines are. So it probably just fits inside the engine area. Same for the OS .81 engine too, which probably fits a little better since the plane was made for Hangar 9 and Tower Hobbies.
Hi Earl, all good thinking, thanks. BTW I got a Dave Brown round back engine mount and it will fit on the firewall with my Saito 100, so I'm going with the Saito at 21 oz. which is a hair lighter than the 65AX. I do have a Saito 82 also but that's just not enough poop for a 7 lb. 3D plane. Yes, the OS 65 is the recommended engine for this plane, and it is a torque type 2-stroke but I don't think it will ever have the instant torque-grunt that a Saito can deliver for 3D. A 2-stroke gas engine sure could though but I wish we could get a 10 or 15cc gasser that weighed 21 oz. instead of 31 oz. Maybe in the not too distant future?