RCU Forums - View Single Post - Next tank build, assistance needed
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgxco1
Not to hijack this thread but I have a Tiger II and M-26 made by Tamiya, both have issues with the turret rotation and skipping / stall. No wires binding and I have tried to adjust the gearing a few times but have the same results, I do not see any teeth stripped or stressed?
That's a normal issue with Tamiya, they have cammed gears in their rotation and elevation to protect against damage to the motor or gearbox. It's an easy fix, you can disassemble the gearbox and replace the cam gear with a solid one or just glue the cam itself and replace.

I'd make sure there are no other areas in the turret ring or roller bearing that isn't causing drag. It doesn't take much for a wire to get a tug and make it skip. The other things to check are outside obstructions like the mantlet hitting something if the gun is fully declined (or the back of the recoil unit if fully elevated) or poorly balanced turret. I turned my Tiger I into an initial so I removed the turret storage basket. The result was a front heavy turret holding up that big 88. The JS-2 needed a handful of steel BBs in the turret rear to counter that huge cannon.