RCU Forums - View Single Post - EME 30-35cc onboard starter
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the wiring done and set up the radio. In deference to my neighbors, I only cranked the engine. I left the ignition off so that it wouldn't actually start and make a bunch of noise. (I live in an apartment) I connected a Watts Up meter in series between the battery and the starter-controller. The Watts Up only records PEAK current. With the engine set right up against compression, the starter hesitated for a brief moment (less than a second) driving the engine through compression. Once through, it spun the engine with authority. The current peaked at 52 amps. I then tried it again with the engine turned backwards to compression in order to give the starter a "running start" at compression. This time the current peaked at 22 amps. I repeated these tests multiple times and the results never varied by more than 2 amps. I used the controller that Magnum RC sells on their website and it never even got warm. The battery I used is a Turnigy 25-35C 2200mah 3S LiPo that I had for my 450 helis. On the 55cc starter, this battery gives a couple of hundred starts between charges. With the receiver turned off, the controller draws 30 mah while plugged in to the starter battery. Even over the course of a long day at the field, this would only be a 250-300 mah drain, certainly not enough to matter. You just have to remember to unplug it at the end of the day when you remove the wing, lest you over-discharge and ruin your LiPo. (Ask me how I know) More pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0002.JPG
Views:	3616
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	1982340   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0005.JPG
Views:	3453
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	1982341