RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro or electric for 8-year-old?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I owned a hobby shop for about 10 years, sold lots of RC vehicles. If the vehicle is REALLY for dad then get what YOU want. IF the vehicle is REALLY for your son get an electric.

Nitro is WAY more complicated to fix, maintain and keep clean. It takes some people a LONG LONG time to figure out how to tune the engine or even get it started, some never do figure it out and give up within a short period.

I have only seen one young person under 12 or so with the patience and aptitude to tune a Nitro car. If your son goes around the house taking apart the satellite receiver, power tools, mom's sewing machine and is eyeing your lawn mower then you might have just such a child! If not electric!

Electric is nearly fool proof, simple, cleaner and much easier to repair. Try to avoid Lipo batteries for awhile but buy a charger that is Lipo capable. Above all buy the brand of car that has good parts support in your area. It's nice to be able to buy the part locally rather than wait for the UPS truck to bring you a $5.00 part.

Last edited by 049flyer; 03-28-2014 at 07:02 PM.