RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:27 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Man, after all this talk about failure rates I think I better start flying quad copters and doing FPV. At least they don't have servos and linkages to fail like inferior "regular" models do.

One of my favorite Giant Scale airplanes has more than a thousand flights on it and I fly it for demonstration at full scale events often... Is there any one here that I can send the list of components of that aircraft to so they can tell me how many more flights I have before typical failure? Thanks

They know not what they do...just paving the road...
That's a lot of the point I was trying to make. Also, bogbeagle did an interesting calculation. The energy force was the same as a 7.62x39mm round. That 7.62x39mm round is equivalent to the .308 Winchester cartridge which is popular for deer and other larger game hunting. Now again, this was a model airplane, essentially a drone used for non-commercial sport and recreation, and fully OK with the FAA and AMA. Part of this may be why I am so adamant about supporting features like FPV, and multi-rotors. I would rather have something that will stop and flutter if it can't make it back home by use of the GPS, rather than barrel into the ground and make a big hole like the plane I was flying that day.

Drones often get a bad rap that they don't deserve. Here is an illustration: A 12 gauge duck hunting shotgun can have the same power as a fully-automatic 30 caliber machine gun with a full 30-round magazine, if the right ammunition is used: 00 Buckshot, for example. Yet, that shotgun and ammo is just as legal as a .22LR lever gun, which packs only a fraction of the energy of the 12 gauge. A quarter-scale Extra 300 packs many times the amount of energy that is contained in a 2 pound quad copter flown FPV. Yet, there is little talk about regulating the quarter scale Extra while everybody wants to attack the what is essentially a 2 pound foamie with a camera. I find this rather interesting. A bad battery or faulty receiver can make that Extra wonder off for quite a distance beyond the flying field.